Saturday, May 14, 2011

My WebQuest

Creating my WebQuest wasn't really a challenge. I am a quick learner so I figured out the format fast and was able to do everything I was supposed to do. The problem that I had was figuring out what my WebQuest would be about. After some thinking, a lot of thinking, I came up with teaching the 3rd graders about the Civil War. I was told that this subject was too advanced for them but the teacher of the class let me do it. American history isn't taught in the third grade, which I don't think should be the case.
The students were historians who had to tell a man from another country all about the Civil War. After they found out, they had to draw pictures that described what happened. I provided a YouTube video and questions to help them along their way. The first day I went was just to introduce them to the subject. I asked basic questions like "What is a Civil War?", "When did the Civil War happen?", "Why did it happen?", and "Who fought in the Civil War?". They had good ideas but they didn't know what I was talking about. Their task was to research information and watch the video I provided to learn everything they needed to know so they would be able to inform the man. They were split into 3 groups and I gave them a week to complete everything.
I enjoyed having the experience of teaching this WebQuest. It was fun and exciting to stand in front of the class, ask questions, and see children get excited about answering questions. It reminded me of how I was in school. When I went to get the final papers, I was very pleased. All of the students did a great job and I knew they did their research because when i asked the same questions I asked the first day, they all were able to answer them correctly. I feel good about picking a subject they never learned about because I am responsible for teaching them something totally new. Now, because of me, when they get to the 4th grade they will know what the Civil War was about before the teacher could tell them. Creating this WebQuest was fun and I look forward to creating more in the future.



1 comment: